Monday, March 8, 2010

The key to a real Healthy Diet

Most diets are very strict and they may make people think they need to be unrealistically thin to be healthy. But it is really about feeling good. A healthy diet can boost your energy, sharpen your memory and stabilize your mood. You don’t have to deprive yourself of the foods you love to have a good diet. You just need to learn some nutrition basics and use them in a way that works for you. It’s all about “eating smart”.

First, you should set yourself up for success. Instead of being overly concerned with counting calories or measuring portion sizes, think of your diet in terms of balancing different food groups. Focus on foods you like and easy recipes that incorporate fresh ingredients. You don’t need to drastically chance your diet overnight. You can start slow and make chances to your diet overtime. Gradually, your diet will become healthier and tastier. Keep in mind that every change you make to improve your diet matters.

Second, moderation is the key. Try to eat smaller portions and no food should be off limits as long as you have balance. Avoid eating in front of the computer or TV because it often leads to overeating.

Third, eating a plant-based diet is the healthiest option. Focus on eating plenty of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and some of the healthy fats, like olive and canola oil. You should keep your consumption of red meat, sugary drinks, salty snacks, refined grains and potatoes to a minimum.

Lastly, you should think of exercise as a food group in your diet. I am currently working on finding a physical activity I can do at least 3 days a week in the beginning. I also take a multivitamin every day to ensure I am not missing any nutrients.

I hope you find this information useful.

4 comments:

  1. So true, but its the exercise part that I am having trouble fitting into my schedule. Full time, stressful work and my own business leaves me too tired to pick myself up and exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very well said! as a vegetarian it's something that im always having to be conscious of, but im loving the idea of thinking of exercise as a foodgroup. may motivate me to keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I working on treating exercise as a food group too. I am making progress!

    ReplyDelete