Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Good old Lasagna

You can call me old fashion but I am a big fan of traditional pasta dishes, especially lasagna (spelled “lasagne” in Italy). It is a delicious savory pie! You can layer this broad noodles with pretty much anything you like, including vegetables, cheese, meats and tomatoes.

I prepare this comforting dish in different ways, but today I would like to share with you the lasagna recipe that brings back sweet childhood memories. I will always enjoy this simple lasagna as if I was trying it for the first time.



Lean Ham Lasagna

Ingredients:
1 lb of egg roll wrappers
1 lb can crushed tomato
4oz of tomato paste
1 cup of water of chicken broth
8oz of sliced provolone cheese
¼ cup of parmesan cheese, shredded
10oz of mozzarella cheese, sliced
12oz of lean smoked ham, thin sliced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon of olive oil
6 large leaves of fresh basil, chopped
½ teaspoon of dry oregano
½ teaspoon of dry Italian seasoning
¼ teaspoon of sugar
Salt, to taste

Preheat the oven to 375F.

In a heavy sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until it is very fragrant. Stir in crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, sugar and tomato paste. Cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes. Stir in basil, Italian seasoning and oregano. Season with salt. Simmer for about 10 minutes and remove from heat.

Cover the bottom of a large casserole dish with the marinara sauce. Add a layer of egg roll wrappers, cutting the edges with necessary to make it fir. Apply another layer of sauce, followed by a layer of ham and then sliced cheese. Repeat the layers until there are no more egg roll wrappers. Finish the lasagna with a generous layer of marinara sauce and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.

Bake uncovered for 40 to 45 minutes.

Serves 8.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE lasagna, I will have to try this, T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lasagna and was surprised just how many variations there are of it. I'm from the UK but now live in the US and the UK version is very different to the ones out here. Mmmm makes me hungry. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed! There are so many different types of lasagna out there. I hope one day I will be able to say I've tried them all!!! Yum...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That makes my mouth water! Just followed your blog, facebook page, and twitter! Recently updated our blog:

    http://tranquility-base-designs.blogspot.com/

    http://twitter.com/jammatun

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems delicious!! Great food for a rainy day, when all you want is to stay at home... and eat well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like lasagna too, but I really dn't know how to make it.
    http://couponmommyof2.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete